Tuesday 2 April 2024

Bubble-wrapped through Covid




How many of you are a fan of the bubble wrap? I for sure am one and ever since I have know them. I call them 'the audible anti-stress pills' that work like magic to calm every grated nerve. Thanks to ecommerce, these pop treats became a ubiquitous part of our lives. I literally go on a mission mode to find the last one in every sheet I lay my hands on. Yes, that's me! And if ever I find them all flattened, my mood deflates like that of a child told to hold back from her favorite candy. 

MY LOCKDOWN BUD

During the pensive pandemic days, when my modest 1BHK flat felt like it was growing in dimensions because of the overbearing solitude and unguarded thoughts it had to accommodate, a massive roll of bubble wrap, very thoughtfully gifted by a former colleague who had noticed my obsession with it back in office, brought me much meditative calm. When puffed to the brim, the neatly seated symmetrical pods are so inviting, you'd think they are infused with some ethereal spell. 

If the pandemic brought us face to face with life's fragility, the healthy supply of bubble wraps gave me a comforting sense of continuity. Every day and very ritualistically I'd cut a piece out of the tall ream and go on a popping spree. And what a balm they proved for all the disorderly thoughts that crowded me. A most unusual pandemic gift, I was delighted to be loaded with such a stressbuster during those unpredictable days.

TIME TO REDEFINE IT 

While a dry dictionary meaning indicates their core purpose is to provide cushioning to fragile packaged objects in transit, the unassuming bubble wraps, in my opinion, belong to a higher league. To me, their definition should expand to include the intangibles: 'Bliss-induced air bubbles that release glee.' And finally, thanks to that colleague who spotted my workplace quirk and drove home a lockdown remedy. 



10 comments:

  1. Pandemic was frightening, bubble-wraps or no bubble-wraps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that. Thank you for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gift, well used during a troubling time for us all. Our society will never be the same.

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna - totally concur. That we are over it and even getting this chance to meet (virtually) is a big blessing. Thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. This is quite interesting - bubble wrap as a stress busters. And why not?! Nicely written :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pradeep sir, am so glad you liked it. Just like that the topic floated out of memory. And yes, you might want to take a guess who this ex-colleague is :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely written piece, Arpita!
    Bubble wrap can be the ultimate cure for quarantine blues and a surprisingly effective way to keep our sanity intact, one pop at a time!

    And as for the fellow who bestowed this during the lockdown -- he must be an unwitting champion of mental wellness and office morale. A true master of unintentional brilliance!
    Looking forward to more such stories from you, Arpita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manu sir, thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on my post. Glad that the idea popped up right in time for me to turn it into a post here :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, Debby. Such were those trying times.

      Delete