Monday 22 April 2024

Stumbling on happiness


Stumbling on happiness
- That's the tile of the book I'm on next. I don't know what the pages will reveal but I'm curious. Authored by American social psychologist and writer Daniel Gilbert, the book is a gift from a dear friend, someone thoughtful and sensitive. And for starters, the cover has a nice appeal. 

Books as gifts are rich and here's why. First, it's heartening to think someone has taken the time and trouble to scan through titles to settle on something, especially for you. Second, it's the kind of gift that can happily change hands and spread the unalloyed joy of reading. Third, with every book you read, you evolve in some way, there is bound to be a perspective shift. A book then becomes much more than just a gift.

I'm the kind of reader who pulls over at many stations while journeying with a book. It's like a slow burn, a book growing on you and you growing with it. But I mostly desist from reading reviews. Why approach it with a clouded perspective? I'd much rather prefer a clean canvas for new vistas to open up. There are times I'm stunned to meet my deepest thoughts seamlessly coursing through words weaved by a total stranger. Thoughts, which until then, craved for expression. It's beyond amazing.  

Books have this uncanny power of revealing a mélange of feelings, sometimes even playing them up against each other. That's why there are pages that make us squirm and then there are those that make us believe in the mysteries of the universe, after all. I imagine no two reader can feel exactly the same about a book. For, as readers, we too bring our baggage along.

Coming back to Stumbling on happiness, I'm eager and excited to the turn the pages. Reading is a consuming process, but something every reader willingly succumbs to. I'm no different. Happy reading y'all!  

(How do you approach books? Would love to know.)




  

12 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to look this one up. The title and book cover are interesting. http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi. Thank you for stopping by. I must say your A-Z challenge is very interesting. I hope to pick up some books from the list you are putting up.

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry about posting that comment anonymously. It was an accident. I meant to put my identity. http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that title! I too love to get books as gifts and I like to give them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. Yes, the title has a good hook.

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the reviews. If I read reviews of book, it is only after I have finished. It's beautiful the way you compare reading a book to going on a journey. It's just like that. Every time I start a new book, it's like arriving at a new destination...and that is only the beginning.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cairns. Glad it resonates. A new book is like arriving at a new destination. You nailed it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  5. True, nothing can match the impact of a story told on the pages of book. Tell me how is this book. Haven't been getting time to read. Surely I can add them to my to-be-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sir. Sure...will tell you once I have read it.

      Delete
  6. I've always been a voracious reader - pure escapism for me.

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder you write so well, Donna. And I totally agree on the escapism bit.

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete