Wednesday 3 April 2024

Clothes donned and ditched



We live in a world where there are a gazillion stimuli to feed the consumerist glutton in us. So much so that even our phones today annoyingly eavesdrop on our conversations and push tailored advertisements to propel us to make a purchase.
This is an aside. But when I learnt that in marketing lingo it is called 'conversions', I actually chuckled. Whoa! How easily and often we get 'converted', I thought. 

Now before I digress, let me plate the seed from which this post is sprouting. Clothes that we routinely buy, wear and discard are actually keepers of memories and holdalls of emotions, the good, the bad and the ugly. At the time of purchase, they may sit neatly folded with their lookalikes, strategically placed under troffer and track lights to reach your eye. But despite all the sheen and shine, they are denuded of emotions. 

Their real journey begin once they get off the shelves and enter your cupboards. Picture this. You are staring wide-eyed at a closet full of clothes. There is no dearth of outfits, yet you scratch your head to pick the right one to wear. This is because your choice is being driven by a certain emotion. A happy you might pull out a vibrant colour and a fancy cut. On a dull day, you may reach for the most blended look, wishing not to stand out even in a crowd of two. When the mood's all jaunty, you might dare yourself into trying something that's otherwise not you. And on days you feel like you are already tired tomorrow, your pajamas feel the most comfortable. 

And then there are the memories that get weaved into their fabric as we experience life and its various flavours. That's how we have that 'one lucky lavender colour shirt' or 'the not-so-lucky green dress'. I have many such garments that could tell you beautiful stories only if they could speak. I also have many others that carry my battle scars. Some have fallen into disuse and yet find a coveted slot in my cupboard for the sheer memories they bring back. 

In a world where emotions and emotional people are often thought to be silly, how fascinating it is that something as inanimate and customary as clothes absorb feelings and begin to reflect the same once they find their wearer. 

Is there a piece from your wardrobe keen to tell its story? Lend it a voice, please. The mic's all yours!



7 comments:

  1. Hi Arpita, great post. I've been cleaning out my mom's closet and find myself breathing in with some pieces and then with others closing my eyes and remembering mom at a particular event in something else.

    Clothing defines us in many ways, and how we see ourselves (and feel) in particular pieces is often not thought of on a conscious level. I wonder sometimes if our clothing picks us.

    Happy blogging, Jenny @ Pearson Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny - welcome to my blog. The mom bit is so relatable, it evokes a whirlpool of emotions. And I love that thought about clothes picking us. Nice to meet you here.

      Delete
  2. I have a trunk filled with older clothes that I no longer wear, but I keep them because I love their fabric. I keep meaning to turn them into something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby - yes, reusing is a great way to preserve stuff that you don't have the heart to toss away. Thanks for visiting and leaving your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. I have a blanket made from old t-shirts with strong memories (Project Repat). As to my closet, I am working on clearing out (and donating) things that no longer fit or I just no longer wear. I'm moving towards a more sustainable wardrobe, mostly merino wool/merino blends. Een my underwear and shoes are made from merino wool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A blanket made from old tees...that's such a snug idea, Donna. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just today, I arranged my wardrobe. I stumbled on a few old clothes. There were a couple of them, I decided, not to discard. Because they hid a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete