Tuesday 9 April 2024

Home is people

'Home is people. Not a place.' This quote by American writer of speculative fiction, who goes by her pen name Robin Hobb, is as beautiful as it is profound, and today I feel like perching my thoughts around it and giving it my own little spin.

Maybe we have got to view life three dimensionally to expand the scope of what we understand as home. To me, such people take you in their warm embrace. Around them you feel safe being vulnerable, in their presence you can be a little more you. They are the walls that will never let you crumble, the roofs that will gather your tears and the doors that will not shut on you. Your cheerleaders for all seasons, they give you the best high fives when life's on a roll and pull you out and dust you down when you tumble down that rabbit hole. 

Such are also the souls who know the art of silent love, the kind of tenderness that shows in action more than in vacuous words. No wonder then that even today we smell home in grandma's kitchen, sniff nostalgia in mom's knitted stole and dig into fading albums for a scoop of heaven. It's also the father's little bursts of anger that often come layered in love or the kindergarten teacher's words that have remained etched in our hearts. 

To me home is that dear friend who remembers my toughest day and lights up as a message on my screen saying, 'You are in my thoughts today'.  How beautiful it is that people can make you feel at home, what else otherwise are all our dwellings but edifices made of beams and stones. 


8 comments:

  1. Yes, it can be that way for some people. Or some people can be that way! I'm not a people person, so my literal home is my haven. It's where my dog is, my books, my garden. I like solitary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Dog, books and a garden, that's sounds blissful :) In this day and time it's also tough to find people who we could think of as home.

    Best,
    Arpita

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! I've been missing home lately, because my family is my home and we are currently far apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. Glad you liked the post. There are also places where one can be made to feel completely iced out. Such is the power of people. I hope you get to meet your dear ones soon. Keep visiting.

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful blog- and I also love the beginning quote❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn - Thank you. I too love that quote ๐ŸŒธ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed people make all the difference. A hut can be sweet home with the right people and a palace can be hell...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tomichan - you put that so succinctly. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete