Saturday 6 April 2024

Forever I the flower girl... ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ


If there is one thing I have indulged in over the years, it has to be fresh flowers. Sometimes I think maybe our souls are very old friends, flowers and I. As a child, I grew up in a bungalow with a garden speckled with flowers, some that appeared seasonally, others that bloomed round the year. The sync of souls must have begun right then. I recall turning to my books every morning only after a round of rendezvous with the flowers meandering through the manicured lawns. Dew-clad in winters and sun-kissed in summers, they'd transport me to a realm of wonder. 

A floral memory floats back to a time when one arid afternoon, my friends and I walked the edges of a pond that had hundreds of pink lotuses in bloom. And how can I not mention the gorgeous orchids that hugged a mango tree in our backyard! 


Years later, when I stepped out of girlhood and moved into a bustling city, leaving the warm confines of my little town, the flowers rehomed themselves in my thoughts, their essence forever blended with mine. I have since bought myself flowers many times and they are a favourite home decor now. Who needs a fancy wallpaper when you have flower power to make a splash! Dreary days are never the same when you have long-necked gladiolus, redolent tuberoses or an assorted bunch of carnations and lilies filling your vision.   

I have picked up abandoned stocks and scattered summer blooms from under massive trees and placed some in pages of my favourite books, from where I inhale long-lost memories. I have stopped to watch them quiver in rain and and then look 'droop-dead' gorgeous, I have seen them eddie together in playful banter under the soft evening breeze.

If ever I find my spirits wilting, I trust a flower to make it twirl,
revel in some petal prattle, forever I the flower girl! 

           

 

10 comments:

  1. It's nice to have flowers around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Liz. Doesn't matter if it's just a bud or an entire bouquet :)

      Delete
  2. My mother's foster parents (basically, my grandparents) had an amazing flower bed every year. This is where I grew to love flowers. But I'm slways sad to see cut flowers. They die too quickly for me...

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Karen. Welcome to my blog. Glad you liked the post. Keep visiting.

      Delete
  4. Yes, Donna. To see them wilt hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Arpita, what a visual post. I could smell the flowers you write about right through the screen. I love flowers too - my garden is colourful and fragrant - this time of year especially excites my senses.

    With smiles and happiness, Jenny @ Pearson Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny. How lovely that you have a garden of your own. It must be precious. Flowers also heal, I feel.

      Take care ๐ŸŒบ

      Delete
  6. Flowers cheers up. No wonder gardening can be a therapeutic hobby!

    ReplyDelete