Thursday 11 April 2024

Junkyard for the spillover thoughts

 


How many of you are overthinkers here? Oh no! Now please don't overthink it. I'm the kind who ponders 360 and more and has multiple mental tabs open simultaneously. It's phrenic acrobatics. Sounds stupendous, even to me! 

As a seasoned overthinker, I'm aware that my mind generates a lot of junk, feeds me a lot of trash (thoughts). Sadly, it's only junk food that gets all the press. I believe, junk thoughts need their junkyards, too. How often have I wished there was a delete button in the human anatomy to select and discard the pesky thoughts that return in bigger loops. Or at least a recycle bin, where I could fling my wayward woes.

Practicing pause, I'm told, helps stop recurring thoughts in their tracks and that it comes with mindfulness. But how to be mindful with the mind already brimful? We overthinkers overthink why we overthink and end up pontificating like this (ha ha!). And now that I'm thinking, there are times I have even overthought on others' behalf. Yes, that's the level of mastery. Am I seeing some facepalms there?! Well then...

So, I'll tell you where's my junkyard. It's sleep, a state of mind that doesn't just bring me rest, but also lets my thoughts recline. How do you toss away your excessive, compulsive thoughts? Please share here but don't overthink ;-)

Hold on, there is an afterthought...

Before I leave, I have to take a little detour. Overthinking isn't always the ultimate and absolute villain. We are all writers because we are overthinkers. Aren't we? We run into our thoughts, sit with them, dawdle over lots of coffee, dress them up in words and put them out. I cannot believe anyone who writes doesn't overthink.      

6 comments:

  1. Nailed it. As an overthinker, I get it. I annoy myself sometimes with the endless replays and analysis of events. I've sometimes said to myself, 'Stop it! What're you doing that for?' You're also right about writing. I definitely think the way my brain works helps me write. I'm visiting on the A to Z Hop. I'll be back.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cairns - Thank you for making a halt at my blog and sharing your thoughts. Doing this challenge for the first time. Nice to hear from fellow bloggers. Keep visiting.

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  2. Sleeping is the best way to clear out the junk but sometimes a troubled mind unfortunately interferes with that. Journaling is a tool I use daily, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. I concur. Journaling is a very effective tool indeed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Keep visiting

      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete
  3. Hi Arpita, oh my, you know me too well. Did I mention my middle name is "Overthinker". I smiled all the way through your post, and then nodded when you said your overthinking junkyard is sleep - me too!

    I am lucky to fall into deep restful sleep - my brain does it's best to air out my over-thoughts, under-thoughts, and all the thoughtly bits in between... in the morning I have fresh clean space for all the overthinking that awaits me.

    Happy thoughts, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - Jenny. Am glad you found this post relatable. We belong to the same club, don't we :) Same like you, I have been lucky with sleep this far. It comes easy. Thanks much for sharing your thoughts.

      Much happy thoughts to you too💭💭
      Arpita

      Delete