Wednesday 10 April 2024

I - 'nuff said!

The A-Z challenge puts the mind on a spin every night. Another day done. Now what tomorrow? At 'I', I just couldn't come up with anything till it hit me, why even try.

'I' isn't just another alphabet waiting to know its true worth only after being baked into words. It stands tall as a term in itself, with an unmistakable identify of its own. Imagine it taking as many unique forms and more as there are people on this earth. That's ginormous! We all and without exception lay claim to the 'I' and effortlessly so. 

'I love', 'I hate', 'I believe', 'I feel', 'I think', 'I concur' and the foremost of all 'I know', the 'I' is boundless in the way it can expand to fit in and feed our sense of self, which is all great. As life flows, we all need to figure out our 'Is' to compositely project them as who we are, but are we discerning enough to stop and see its delusional side? 

I read somewhere that 'I' can be limiting and that struck and stuck. The obsessive 'I' is myopic. It paints an exalted sense of the self which is a lot of hubris. The kind of 'I' that doesn't let you rise above and smell the other roses in the garden. 

But there is also a version of 'I' that knows that it has to come out of its silo and embrace the 'we'. That's the aspirational 'I' which powers the real growth of a person. It's the one that has to subsume itself and be reborn. None of us can do without the 'I' for it forms the bedrock of our identity, but what if we water it in a way that it branches out to make room for every other 'I'? 

Sure nothing is impossible.  Read again. Even the word impossible says 'I M POSSIBLE'. So much for the lean, (dare I say mean), freestanding 'I'! 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I (oops) wonder if the reason I prefer to write my books in third person is because I'm (oops) uncomfortable with me. [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - now, that's a curious line of thought :) And trust you me, I'm so conscious of all the 'Is' hogging that post -- opps in all caps!

      Thanks for visiting.
      Best,
      Arpita

      Delete